Author Archives: Eric Webb

SQL Server SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c

Ran into this issue during a new SP 2010 install this week:

“SQL Server SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c”

Took awhile to figure out but I was able to solve it by making a Local Security Policy change on the SQL box:

Go to Local policies | User rights assignment | Access this computer from the network and add the account(s) that are trying to login to SQL.

Credit to link for the info.

Enabling performance monitoring on multiple Windows servers

Here’s a great method to enable performance monitoring on any number of Windows Servers. Very handy for a SharePoint Farm!

Article: link

Link to files: link

Iterating through a SharePoint discussion list

One of those things that you think should be pretty straightforward…

Credit to Dave Ginn for finding the solution.

List itemList = new List();

foreach (SPListItem discussion in discList.Folders)
   //discussion.Title is discussion title
   SPQuery query = new SPQuery();
   query.Folder = discussion.Folder;
   SPListItemCollection messages = discList.GetItems(query);
   itemList.Add(new Discussion(discussion.Title, messages.Count));

//sort by most comments
itemList.Sort(delegate(Discussion p1, Discussion p2)
{ return p2.Comments.CompareTo(p1.Comments); });

Here’s the site I used for reference:

Essential reading for SharePoint Admins

Told you I’d be back. 😉

Here’s an invaluable article that explains exactly how the MySite Cleanup Timer Job works.  If you’re an admin, you WILL get questions about this eventually so better to get the knowledge now.

So it’s been awhile…

I just realized it’s been over a year since I last posted.  Needless to say, I’ve been busy. 🙂  I hope to be more active again in the future.  Stay tuned.

Disable SharePoint Email Notifications

Here’s a nice Powershell script to disable all notification emails in SharePoint 2010:

As an added bonus, you can also disable all notifications from Newsgator as well.

SharePoint 2010 – Page Layouts getting deployed as “customized”

This is getting filed under the truly bizarre category.

I’m working on deploying a masterpage and a page layout as part of a solution package for my current client.  I finished designing both files and have added them to my solution.  I verified that neither had any of the “extra” markup that SharePoint Designer adds when you create files.  I deployed the solution to my environment and everything worked as expected.

I then needed to make a change to the page layout.  So, I made the change in the solution and re-deployed the .wsp only to find that my page layout didn’t get updated.  I opened up SPD to find that my page layout was marked as “customized”!  I checked all of the usual gotchas with regards to this issue (search Google) and even tried to “Revert to Site Definition”.  Nothing worked.

I then noticed that Visual Studio had made all of my “<asp:Content>” tags lowercase (<asp:content>).  Surely that couldn’t be the issue, right?  Wrong.  I changed them back to “<asp:Content>” and everything worked as expected.

I guess I should have known better since I’ve had this issue in the past with SharePoint 2007 (  However, I at least got an error message with that issue.

SharePoint 2010 Multi Tenancy

Here’s a good series of articles about a really cool new feature of SharePoint 2010:

Great C# Command Line Argument Parser

Something that should be built into .Net to begin with:

Awesome SharePoint Webpart Exception handling

This is epic.  Check out this exception handling base class for SharePoint webparts:

No more wrapping try/catch blocks in every single webpart in your project.  I love it!

Switch to our mobile site