Monthly Archives: June 2009

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Big javascript post

All of this javascript goodness became useful while I was using jquery to call Sharepoint web services, specifically after I wrapped all of the functionality into a class.

1.  Context – this issue arose while using jquery’s .ajax() method as so:


  $.ajax({
            url: "../_vti_bin/lists.asmx",
            type: "POST",
            dataType: "xml",
            data: soapEnv,
            complete: this.processResult,
            contentType: "text/xml; charset="utf-8""
        });

I kept getting an error saying it couldn’t find the processResult() function. Turns out the “this” keyword wasn’t returning the context of the class. Instead, it was returning the context of the ajax() function call. After searching the intrawebs, I came accross this article. So, by adding the code and changing “this.processResult” to “$.context(this).callback(‘processResult’)” the problem was solved.

1A. Context and Recursion – this issue occurred while using a recursive function to write out a menu with child elements. Once again, this worked fine until I put everything into a class. However, once I did that, I started getting some weird issues with my for loop. The counter would increment twice while the recursive call was made. I wasn’t able to figure this one out, so I just unrolled the function.

2. Array sorting (mostly for my benefit) – a cool way to sort an xml array in descending order:


   this.sortRows = function(a, b){
        return ($(a).attr("columnName") - $(b).attr("columnName"))
    }

Then call the function like this:


   array.sort(this.sortRows);

Ensure Infopath Forms open in browser

Here’s a good way to ensure all of your Infopath Forms open in a browser, no matter where they’re linked from:

http://www.sharepointblogs.com/koning53/archive/2009/06/10/ensuring-infopath-forms-to-open-in-forms-services.aspx

New site

A site I’ve been developing for my wife’s uncle’s business just went live:  tateinsurancegroup.com.

Pretty standard site so far.  The one cool thing is it was done using Umbraco, an open-source ASP.Net CMS system.   There were a few hiccups I encountered when first getting the site setup, but it’s proven to be a very capable CMS solution.  I would absolutely consider it in the future.

Switch to our mobile site